Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Why Do We Feel So Guilty?

I can't speak for everyone else, but I feel more guilty now as a mother than I ever have before.  Just off the top of my head, I bet that I can come up with at least ten things that I feel guilty about:

1.  I feel guilty that my house is a mess.

2.  I feel guilty that Eric cries when we drop him off at daycare.

3.  I feel guilty that I don't cook fancy meals.

4.  I feel guilty that I've lost touch with a lot of my friends.

5.  I feel guilty that I give Eric a bottle in his crib.

6.  I feel guilty that I don't remember that last time I took an    exercise class.

7.  I feel guilty that I didn't breastfeed.

8.  I feel guilty that I don't spend enough quality time with my husband.

9.  I feel guilty that I don't read to Eric more.

10. I feel guilty that I let Eric watch television when I need a breather.

I suspect that I'm not alone.  Even Johnson & Johnson's has a marketing campaign (you're doing okay, Mom.) based around new mothers' feelings that we aren't doing enough for our babies.

But why do we feel so guilty?  Is it all the unsolicited advice that we receive?  Is it some ideal that we see in the media?  Or are we doing this to ourselves?  What can we do to overcome it and truly know that we are doing our best for our family?  We are so forgiving of everyone else, how can we be a little more gentle with ourselves?

This blog was written by Karen Bivand, a first time mother of 20 month old, Eric.  Karen's goal for motherhood is to survive it! 

(Photo From:  Image: FreeDigitalPhotos.net)

No comments: