When I was asked by momstown Milton to blog about the kickboxing class at Oxygen Yoga and Pilates, I
thought, “how bad can it be?” I used to do Tae Bo and take cardio
kickboxing classes … about 10 years ago. Lately a work out for me is lifting my
8 month old (come on that is 18 lbs of solid baby), blow drying my hair, and
emptying the dishwasher with the rare trip downstairs for a quick workout in my
basement.
As it came closer to the day of the class I
started to panic, reality was starting to set in that things are not quite what
they used to be before I had my daughter. What if I run out of steam? What if I
pass out? What if we have to do push-ups? I suck at push-ups. What if I throw
up? How red will my face really get? What if I cannot get through the class? Have
I been doing enough kegels for all of the sit-ups we are about to do… come on
ladies you know that things are different down there! I feared the unknown, but about to face my
fear and give it all that I had left after a full 14 hour day with my baby.
When I showed up to Oxygen Yoga and Pilates for the class, I have to say that I was
intimidated, there were a lot of fit ladies ready to kick some ass, what I
didn’t realize, was the ass about to be kicked in the class was literally mine.
We had to start the class by getting into pairs, I was the lucky one without a
partner, I looked at our instructor Lynn and said to myself “this woman is going to be my partner, please
do not let her be my partner, she looks like she could lay a serious smack down
on someone, I am going to die”… well Lynn didn’t end up my partner, Lori-Ann
did.
Let me begin by saying Billy Blanks ain’t got NOTHIN’ on Lori-Ann, she may be tiny but she is a hard-hitting, hardcore, tiny robot of workout muscle, and I should mention she is the owner of the studio and often teaches the class. I also have to say she did NOT go easy on me in any way, if anything I had to work 100% harder than everyone in the class just to keep the sparring gloves from hitting me in the face. She may be tiny but she packs a hard kick and an even more explosive punch.
It was comforting to look around the class
and see some of the faces of other moms that I have met and become friends with
through momstown Milton. We were all
in this together, supporting each other and giving each other the same looks of
fear, exhaustion and encouragement.
After getting over my personal fear of being punched in the face, losing a tooth, breaking my wrist, finger or what ever other body part was in the direct path of the mighty warrior I was paired with, I realized I was the lucky one because I had my own personal trainer for the class, cheering me on, getting me pumped up and making me work a hell of a lot harder than I would have if I had another partner. I credit this to my fear of looking weak and having something to prove to myself. Strong fighters prey on the weak – you would know that if you had seen Bloodsport a million times growing up like me. For those of you who do not know what Bloodsport is, Google it, and if you are too lazy I have two words for you, Van Damme.
After getting over my personal fear of being punched in the face, losing a tooth, breaking my wrist, finger or what ever other body part was in the direct path of the mighty warrior I was paired with, I realized I was the lucky one because I had my own personal trainer for the class, cheering me on, getting me pumped up and making me work a hell of a lot harder than I would have if I had another partner. I credit this to my fear of looking weak and having something to prove to myself. Strong fighters prey on the weak – you would know that if you had seen Bloodsport a million times growing up like me. For those of you who do not know what Bloodsport is, Google it, and if you are too lazy I have two words for you, Van Damme.
I knew the workout was going punish all
of the body parts I have not worked out in a decade, and all of the other ones
I did not know I had, when after the first sparring segment my hands were
shaking so bad I could not take off my boxing gloves, could not open my water
bottle, and I couldn’t even raise my arms to take off my long sleeved shirt.
All of the things you take for granted like taking a shower, removing your contact lenses and writing your name were now almost impossible to do with hands that were shaking uncontrollably. Everyday activities like picking up your baby and putting her down in her crib were now a work out in itself. Don’t get me wrong it hurt…. but it was the good hurt, the hurt that makes you say, “Hell ya, I rocked that class and held my own”.
I got through the jab cross punches, lead leg snaps, upper cuts and donkey kong sit-ups… well not the donkey kong sit-ups … sadly that was the one thing that caused this blogger to collapse and yell “blogger down” in class. My advice is pace yourself, and work at your own speed and comfort level, this is encouraged in the class, as no one wants an unnecessary injury.
All of the things you take for granted like taking a shower, removing your contact lenses and writing your name were now almost impossible to do with hands that were shaking uncontrollably. Everyday activities like picking up your baby and putting her down in her crib were now a work out in itself. Don’t get me wrong it hurt…. but it was the good hurt, the hurt that makes you say, “Hell ya, I rocked that class and held my own”.
I got through the jab cross punches, lead leg snaps, upper cuts and donkey kong sit-ups… well not the donkey kong sit-ups … sadly that was the one thing that caused this blogger to collapse and yell “blogger down” in class. My advice is pace yourself, and work at your own speed and comfort level, this is encouraged in the class, as no one wants an unnecessary injury.
Would I take the class again – Yes! It made me feel strong, confident and it really felt good to be in control of my body again. Lynn and Lori-Ann are amazing, do they scare me, YES but that is what you want in someone who is going to take your post baby body and turn it into a body that you love as much as your little one.
If you would like to showcase your fitness program or health services to our members please contact info.milton@momstown.ca
This Blog was written by Jacqueline Bellmore- momstown Milton member and mother to an adorable baby girl.
No comments:
Post a Comment